Sunday, January 1, 2017

Becoming a Bulletproof Coach - Chapter 1 "Pasadena Coach Training Workshop"

First Impressions and An Introduction to Your New Blogger

So here we are starting the new year and as I was pondering what direction I'd like this year to go in, it dawned on me that I've been in need of a creative outlet, a place where I can express myself and reflect on everything this crazy thing called life has to offer. So here I am, Andrew Thill, writing my very first blog post. 


An Introduction to Your New Blogger

So let's share a little bit about myself. First off I'm 27 years old and live in Southern California. I have a fiance named Mikayla who came into my life at the perfect time to get me to stop dragging my butt on the floor and do something with my life and she also came with one of the greatest gifts the universe has given me, a baby boy named Jett. We've all been together now for almost 2 years, and I can't express how much these two beautiful humans have reawakened my heart and soul, something I used to think was baggage that no one needed in their life, but we'll get more into that some other time. Currently I work with my dad in construction while working on my Bulletproof Coaching and ICF certifications. I spend my days contemplating big ideas, playing with my fiance and baby, and thinking up new creative ways to cook healthy food in the kitchen. (There will be recipes in future posts I'm sure!) Now that you have a little background information on me, let's get to the real subject of this post... my first impressions of the Bulletproof Coaching program!


First Impressions of the Bulletproof Coaching Program

So let me just start by telling you a little story about how I found Bulletproof. I used to be overweight, but I've always had an innate ability to find truth and not only the ability, but the need to find it. When I turned 18 I started searching for a diet that would help me get rid of this spare tire around my waist. I followed diets that restricted calories and encouraged you to work out every day, and guess what, I lost weight! However, I felt like total dog poop, and as a seeker of truth that made no sense. If I'd lost all that stubborn weight that made me unhealthy, why do I feel worse now at 160 pounds than I did back at 300? Why indeed... and that question is what drove me to keep searching for a way to not only lose weight but to be happy, healthy, and strong. My search was a long one, I battled my weight for years, until I stumbled upon a video (there are much better videos now) that would change my life forever. The video featured a man named Dave Asprey and his new 'Bulletproof Diet'. As I watched the video I felt inspired by all the scientific explanations he used while teaching this group of seniors the basis of the Bulletproof Diet, this was the first time I had came across a diet that actually explained WHY you should eat like this and HOW it will effect not only your body, but your mind as well. To keep the story short I'll skip to the end... I tried the diet, and it worked! I felt better, I looked better, I was better and this was just the beginning of what would end up being my passion for the next 4 years and beyond.

Now, let's talk about the Bulletproof Coaching program, it all starts with a 2 day in person workshop in Pasadena CA. I'm not going to lie, when I first got there I was a little on edge, all I could think about was 'these people are probably so much more qualified to be here than I am'. But as we sipped on the free bulletproof coffee that was provided for us and I started to mingle a bit with my fellow coaches in training the tension disappeared. We talked about all the fun biohacks we'd tried and wanted to try, how we'd been struggling to teach our family and friends better ways of eating, and how much better we'd all felt since switching to a high fat diet. Then the training began, and may I just say WOW it was everything I expected and more. In this post I really just want to highlight one part of it, one part that could and will change your life if you embrace it, and that is PRESENCE. 

Presence is the idea, no the embodiment of living in the present moment. During the workshop we were taught how to access this presence and how to use it, not only in coaching, but in our day to day lives as well. How do we access presence? It's so simple you'll laugh... Simply close your eyes and become aware! Become aware of your breathing, your chest, your belly, your legs, your entire body, the space around you, the people around you, and that's it you're accessing presence! Give it a try! Amazing isn't it? Some key things to notice when accessing presence, your mind will be silent, your body will be still, and you'll find a kind of inner peace that can only be achieved when your body, mind, and spirit are in sync and fully in the present moment. I'd never been taught something so simple before that had such a profound effect on my mind, body, and soul. From this place of presence I found interacting with my fellow coaches in training effortless, like all the words just flowed out from... from my inner truth, the part of myself that just gets it. I no longer had to fight with my minds inability to let go of fear and doubt, for in this place of presence those thought forms don't exist. 

The whole 2 day workshop, in my opinion at least, was meant to cement the importance of presence into each and every one of us aspiring coaches. Those 2 days have changed my life forever. I now know and can teach one of the most important things in life, and I'll always be thankful to the great teachers who taught it to me over at Bulletproof. This presence workshop would set the foundation for the rest of the coaching course and propel us on our journey to becoming Bulletproof Coaches.

Please feel free to comment and share. I can't wait to share the rest of my journey and much much more with you!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew! Nice explanation of how you got started. Good luck on your blogging future and your coaching life. May 2017 be the beginning of an amazing year for you and all your dreams. ~AK

    ReplyDelete