Monday, January 2, 2017

Becoming a Bulletproof Coach - Chapter 2 "The State of High Performance"

The State of High Performance: Presence

So in my last blog post I talked about setting the foundation of the coaching program. In this post I'll go into further detail on how we not only access presence, but how we use it to be effective coaches, life partners, friends, and human beings. During my first couple weeks back after the two day in person workshop in Pasadena I implemented presence in everything I did. I'd make sure to eat food with presence, listen to friends and family with presence, and go about my day with the conscious intent to stay present. The results were beyond amazing, and now I'd like to share those results with you while also giving a couple suggestions on how you can easily integrate presence into your day to day lives.

Benefits of Living in the Present Moment

After learning how to access presence I began using it constantly. I learned that when accessing it I'd feel more grounded in whatever I was doing, less up in my head, and more aware of what I was actually trying to focus on. Even simply going to the movies I noticed being more present kept me from fidgeting! Now I know not fidgeting in a movie isn't really that big of a deal, but that was just the beginning. Do you constantly have thoughts running through your head that distract you from what you should actually be focusing on? Does your brain run on a repeat at night, constantly playing a story in your head making it impossible to sleep? Do you feel like you can't remember things you just saw, read, or heard? Well from what I've experienced all of that and more is caused by living in the past, or the future. When we live in the present there isn't anything to worry about, there isn't anything to distract you. All there is is the here and now.

There's another reason to access presence, and it's one of the biggest reasons we were taught it so early as bulletproof coaches, and that's because from presence you can tap into intuition and the ability to really connect on a deep level with another human being. Using presence during a one on one session allows me to not only relax, but also step into the other persons shoes. I felt what they felt in a way, and because of that I was able to ask the right questions from their own perspective. I was simply a mirror that was there to help them uncover their deeper truth, because you see as bulletproof coaches we aren't here to tell you what to do, we're here to help you see what you already know deep within.

Simple Tips to Access Presence

Slow down and take in the world around you
Simple yet effective! So many of us walk through life without paying attention to whats going on around us. We run from appointment to appointment never stopping to smell the roses. So I invite you to try slowing down. It doesn't have to waste any of your precious time, just simply look up from you phone while walking into work, or coming home to your family, or walking to the grocery store. Take in the world around you for what it is, a beautiful masterpiece, and while your doing that become aware of how you feel. I'll bet that head of yours that was worried about how well you're going to do on tomorrows test got a little bit quieter.

Sit down and breath
Another exercise that has been used throughout the ages! Meditation is an amazing practice that has been shown to have profound results. But I'm not asking you to sit down for 20 minutes or more, in fact you can access presence in less than a minute if you'd like. Try this... sit down, close your eyes, and start breathing deeply. Count each breath as it goes in and out. Repeat this until you get to 30 then slowly open your eyes while keeping your attention on your breathing, and ask yourself: How do I feel right now? While paying close attention to how your entire body feels. This technique is a great way to calm yourself before bed.

In my opinion presence could end a ton of suffering. I believe if all of us got a little more in tune with ourselves and the world around us we'd make much more positive, heart based, and grounded choices that would improve the quality of life for us and all that we interact with.

5 comments:

  1. Practicing presence or mindfulness is a wonderful skill to develop. But I do think most of us need to work on it for quite a while before we really begin to enjoy most of the benefits. Good for your teachers at Bulletproof for stressing how important and valuable it is. As you say, I believe it would indeed end a lot of suffering for all of us and allow us to improve the quality of our lives. ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I agree it is a long road for some and for others it's almost their natural state. I believe that we all should stay vigilant and never succumb to the notion that we've made it, here it is, I AM PRESENCE.... we all have old stories that sometimes take over and draw us out of presence and as we're presented with new experiences sometimes these stories can rear their heads in new ways that surprise us. I've found it very helpful to simply be aware that I am (like many) not perfect and susceptible to old programming rearing its head in my day to day life, so that I can actively label it for what it is and rise above it to create a more harmonious life for me and those around me :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete